“Not all those who wander are lost.”
– J. R. R. Tolkien
I love discovering new places and different beaches! Whenever I feel stressed at work and want to escape from the noise of the city, I make it a point to take a break beside a seashore, watching waves and gazing upon the beauty of nature. It was February 2016 when I had a wonderful privilege to witness and experience the breath-taking Kalanggaman Island located in the municipality of Palompon, Leyte, Philippines.
Kalanggaman is famous for its crystal clear water, white powdery sand and long sand bars stretching on both sides of the island. The surroundings of the beach is really calm, safe and truly relaxing; that’s why it’s suitable for family holidays or for short weekend trip. Here’s how to get to Kalanggaman Island. [Read more: Source]
How to get to Kalanggaman Island?
- Take a flight to Tacloban City, Leyte, PHL.
- From Tacloban New Bus Terminal, ride a van going to Palompon. (Travel time is approx 3hrs.)
- Proceed to Ecotours Office to book your stay in the island. (It’s just walking distance from the van terminal in Palompon.)
- Hire a boat going to Kalanggaman Island at the Ecotours Office. (Boat ride is about 1 hour.)
My favorite part of the trip was the moment when we saw dolphins swim enthusiastically near our boat while we were heading to the Island. They showed their little tricks and talents in swimming for a short period of time. They were really too cute and extraordinary! Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to take a good shot of them due to big waves. And so, when I got to the Island, I made sure not to miss out any chance of taking beautiful photographies, and still enjoying the white sand beach.
Note: Some of my photos were unedited. They’re just really gorgeous and too good to be true!
- Make sure to coordinate first with Palompon Eco tours Office before scheduling a visit to Kalanggaman Island.
- Eco tours Contact Numbers: (053)338-2094 / 0917-3037-269/ 0917-3037-267
- Bring everything that you’ll need before leaving Palompon. The public market is just beside the EcoTours office.
- Leave early if you’re just planning a day trip. Bring your own camping tent and basic needs if you will stay overnight.
- Always practice “Leave no trace” principle, bring all your trash back to the main island.
- Aqua biking
- Scuba diving
- Stand up paddle boarding
Click here for island rates and more details.